Tuesday 23 August 2011

Dear Durango...

Dear Durango,

I have been so consumed with the responsibilities that go with the loss of a parent, much less two, that it is not till now i could write.

I most wanted to share my gratitude towards each and every person i met, both new and old friendships forged and reforged. It is an honor to be the daughter of both Wallis and daddy (Gleb). and as with my mothers passing 18 months ago, my greatest inheritance was her friends, of which is a huge responsibly. one can inherit this but one can not keep it, without cultivation. I pray i can do so on behalf of my parents, and continue to make them proud, as so many told me, that they were.

I want to start by thanking so many for their kind words, some of which were perfect strangers, from out side the court house the girl from denny's to Jan, and mary, in the court house that handed me a box of tissues every time they saw me, and lent me there ear, and shoulder. to the girl at the police station, and a nice woman that told me it was ok to cry, to carol in the coranors office, an extraordinary woman. My thanks to robin from state farm and denise, they have been so compassionate i can only learn from the best of heart. To Hood mortuary, may i say Tom got the brunt of my dismay, and handled it well, and ryan stepped in and was extraordinary, sue, kathy, and anne, thank you so much.. you will never know how glad i was to have your support, and only you know how hard this was for me, in so many ways. To the anonymous contributor who made it possible to finalize arrangements for my father, no blessing greater. There, in my opinion, is no such thing as closure, but steps that take us forward, and i was at a stand still. I took my last drive with my dad, the man who "taught" me how to drive, and the following day, up early, as everyday, went on the last earthly flight with my dad thanks to Delvin. Without a thought he granted my every wish. and gave me a lovely ride to the tip top of Needles mountains near the chicago basin, where my fathers ashes lie between the highest peeks, where he belongs, at the top!!

To Janet at for the birds for arranging and gathering together Wally's friends, to one of the last places wally so enjoyed and found herself as an individual, opposed to being Gleb's wife. a woman of great intellect, which she was able to share with you all, then and forever. thank you for coming. and to wally's first boss there, who sold the store with wally as one of it's assets, nothing could be more true.

Let me express my deep gratitude to Open shutter, Margy, brendon, and so many others, who came to share their stories of both gleb and wally. Ken for attending both services, wally's memorial and the celebration at open shutter saturday, and bringing the bike patent!! and for the opportunity to share, on behalf of my father the stories i grew up with about the photographs he took of my mother and carmen!

to the girl at frontier counter who extended my trip with no extra cost, and budget for renting me a car within budget!

to Art and lucy for your help and support, and jonie for the beautiful top and jacket i wore to wally's service, and the beer on her deck.

lastly to kimberly who had the misfortune of reading about daddy and wally's accident, and being the one to first inform me, and her sister krista for her call, and worse of all having to tell me, and feel my pain, first hand. To Lisa, kimberly's friend who offered to not only pick me, a perfect stranger at the airport, but opened up her home to me, for the entire duration of my trip, for the dinners i didn't have to decide upon, to the wise advice, and insight, as well as the joy of a sunset, with a beer over looking the farm field and the la platas to the north. I can not express thanks as it is too little a word to express the content of my feelings.

Thank you to the durango herald for writing such great stories about my dad, Gleb Derujinsky, i'd love a copy of each of them, please. I am in need of returning to during to finish up what needs be. I am looking for a house sitting opportunity, for 2-4 weeks if any one hears of such a place please contact me.

most sincerely,

Andrea derujinsky

No comments:

Post a Comment