Saturday 23 October 2010

I have a lot to say.. now that's novel isn't.. it! so funny i spend so much time texting when i sit to write on the computer keys i can't find the exclamation key.. it's to the right in the phone, and top left here on the computer..

I awaken to soft clean sheets, some of my mom's old sheets, soft firm.. not those mushy 1000 thread count ones they claim r so wonderful.. with a million pillows.. a hole in the sheets, and a few ink spots.. for those that new my mother u would only get how funny that is, in my inheirited california king.. the size of my entire coach..

like waking up in a five star hotel..everything.. so beautiful, clean.. neat too.. of course i had to make my own coffee, as usual, but it still feels like, a self service, 5 star hotel.....

I pulled it out over 600 miles.. when i awoke yesterday having written here, i then went to check the van for what might be the last time upon this road trip.. dam.. the battery was dead!! no battery, no auxiliary breaks, and then the hood wouldn't open.. i tried desperately to get it to unlatch but.. i'd take a fair guess the cable that pulls the latch is broken.. i got out my awning rod, and started to fool around with the latch, and finally got it to unhook so as to get to the battery, i'd jumped a few times before.. to say the least.. of course the battery was so dead the quick jump wouldn't cut it.. so out i took the slow charger, plugged it into the motorhome and attached the clamps positive and neg.... and now sit and wait.. i had gotten up so early i should have been able to get a going much earlier.. now a slight delay.. had a chat with a fellow rv'er, heads up on my journey west, the the long hill as i'd leave willcox.. reaching the top to find fuel..to keep my eyes open for some amazing rock formations, best in this part of the country, john insisted.. and with our chat short and sweet my battery charged, we took off for the days drive not knowing whether we'd make it all the way to L.A today.. along the road, the billboards, one advertising "The Thing", what could it be? for what seemed like a hundred miles, every 10 or twenty, another with some intriguing comment about this mysterious THING found in the desert... as i pulled off for diesel again, it was there we found our selves where of all things was the place the THING COULD BE FOUND.. What could it be, the card reader was down on the pump so i was forced to go inside the place.. smooth move.. not like any gas station store i'd seen anywhere along the trip, in 16 weeks.. lots of odds and ends souvenir.. type items of every kind indian, mexican, western.. u name it.. and the huge sign inviting us to view the THING .. ok i asked, so what is the thing.. right.. oh u must see it one woman behind the counter insisted, and for $1. for adults and $.75 for kids who could resist.. i filled the tank, parked the coach, put some nice shoes on and in we went to find this out.. pictures to follow.. a collection of antiques that would blow ur mind, a museum of their personal collection of cars, phonogragh, items of torture, a car said to been driven by hitler.. fuck.. this home schooling thing a wondrous THING indeed.. Then a stroll through the gift styled store, found a pistol for andres cowboy costume.. a buck and a half.. who can resist that.. and a fab pair of indian style boots for madeline..

If i have complained my name has been called way to often, only madeline would know how it feels... we spoke in unison many a times yesterday, YES ANDRES multitudes of times.. till we were hysterical with laughter, Madeline, mom, madeline mom.. madeline mom.. yes Andres!!!!

and more miles, the road streaming under the tires, many blindly passing.. my mind in thought.. my summer, Madelines excitement in getting home.. my feeling i was not going home, my home.. where i'd hardly acclimated before i'd left for this long trip.. finding this all a bit hard to believe.. calls coming in where are u, how much further.. what time might u make it.. will u make it..figuring at an average speed of 70 mph.. that should put me in town about 8:30pm.. in the parking lot where i can park my coach 2 miles from the apt.. my apt.. huh.. my apt..

arizona, and finally the boarder.. California.. crossing the colorado river, and the fruit inspection place, so this is an agricultural inspection, so we'd already gathered up our few fruits, 7 bananas, 3 peaches and an apple, we claimed .. and where r u driving from, florida , he looked at us like we had 2 heads!!!! seriously... and laughed when we gave him our inventory list of fruits!!are u sure it's 7 bananas, and where would those peaches be from, he took one look and said, oh those are california peaches.. figures i'd buy peaches in the south east, from california.. glad to return them and after 5 days still uneaten.. why do i bother..

several stops for fuel.. quick, short, stops .. like driving in the indi 500, 5minutes fill and go.. fill and go.. chasing the sun as it set.. into the mountains ahead, driving through indio, where i'd sold at an art show months ago.. till i reached the metropolis of the city limits, at 70.. just want to get there, now.. when of all things shit there are flashing lights behind me, oh no .. shit fuck.. i'm getting pulled over for the first time in twenty years and i have no idea where to pull this rig over.. and i know for a fact that i can not find my registration as i'd looked for it some days earlier, when in maryland.. and wheres my drivers license oh and proof or insurance shit.. i pulled over where it seemed relatively safe, and a nice officer explains to me that i should drive to the next exit, and pull into a shopping center, requests my drivers license which he holds onto.. i'm thinking should i be driving without it? and i proceed.. knowing i was speeding through, as the speed limit for towing are 55mph.. when i get to the shopping center the lot is completely full and i have no idea in the dark of night now where to stop.. anywhere lets get this over, and he comes to my window, madeline in the front seat, explains to me my wrong doing and askes for the registration, and proof of insurance which madeline has the folder out.. nothing i need in it.. and i tell him to be perfectly honest i have no idea where the registration is.. and heres my last years insurance. and with a big smile as i explain i've been driving since 10:30 this morning and have been driving for days, in fact.. antsy to just get there, L.A. he returns my out of date insurance paper, with my drivers license, and with a smile no ticket!!! yes oh thank u god.. no ticket.. no grief, and as we were about to part i asked so what is ur name, officer williams, and btw where r u from.. New Jersey!! oh sir one more thing.. how do i get back to I-10? follow me i'll get u there safely, and going in the west direction.. he was so nice.. and it was a brief stop, no long delay.. he could have been so awful, guess he couldn't resist my enthusiastic, honesty.. my smile even under the circumstances.. what else could i do..

and back down the road, an hour away.. eachminutes closer.. madeline had been packing periodically all day long, and there it was the skyline of the city buildings glowing in the night.. so stunning.. and the 101.. beckoning us towards hollywood.. exit highland blvd.. unload, throw everything in the van, unconnected from it's towing place for so many days as i ran through my head my procedure, unhook, re-engage rear shaft disconnect, and race through the back streets of Franklyn blvd, then down to hollywood blvd, to fairfax, over a little street to put me on Hayworth, a brief light and cross over sunset, my apt building, just to the right.. and park.. for the night at last..

my welcoming committee, my tenants and my beloved Cassie.. beer in hand as i walk into my home.. lights so pretty, my furniture, pretty floors, clean and nice.. one trip up the stairs with all the extra hands to help.. so nice.. oh a bathroom. when i went the first time, i went to press the pedal.. not there.. a full length mirror that spans the 16 feet of closet doors, to glance at my self for the first time, like looking at an old friend i hadn't seen in months fully.. my slim figure, from head to toe..

back to the kitchen counter to have another beer and conversation, till the wee hours, and finally this over whelming need to put my head down upon my pillow..

awoke at 8:45 PST.. adjusting to my new time zone by far easier than when i went east, which seemed to take months.. to adjust to..

a gray over cast day, just right for some home cooking.. roast chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy.. and peas.. lots of butter on mine plz.. i'm going to go over the motor home pick up some more things, then Ralphs for the dinner, milk.. just a quick stop.. for the days needs, have to make a big run.. but not today.. 600 plus miles.. wow..

i am sure u are all wondering what now.. what will she have to write about if now no longer driving. there are a few more thoughts which this week i will continue to add to this running story.. so stay tuned.. i'm not quite finished!!!..

with all our thanks , the friendship, the calls, and inquiries of our where abouts daily, and those that stayed up late awaiting my notice of our arrival safe, and sound.. finally.. and for those who just so happened to be up..

and for the rest i must start calling to let them too know, we are home.. and the journey continues..

Andrea and Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment