Sunday 17 October 2010

Tonight is my last night after my last show.. The Mullet Festival.. well if u new what a Mullet was .. it is likely u wouldn't come here to the town of niceville..
i found out as i arrived monday, a week ago late day.. set up the motorhome in a distant rv space, quiet.. . by wednesday my friend Joe was to arrive, here in Niceville.. we all went to the little airport here to see his smiling face in his pilot attire, looking so dashing.. hat and all.. after a long day of flying.. we ran errands.. a tent needed.. as he would be here a few days as it turned out i would be moving yet again as mr mason had some issue with 4 people on the camp site on the fair grounds.. not wanting to make a fuss over his ridiculousness.. i decided to find another place to camp and we packed up everything and found a campsite in Destin, far away from the show.. but lovely in it''s own way.. nothing like it's internet ad though, which made this place look like a paradise, near the water. as it turned out just a lot large enough for a house, instead a few motorhomes and trailers.. Kent the manager greeted us joyfully.. the last spot in the area as the Mullet festival had filled all the hotels and campsites months ago.. Now one would think this is going to be truly the big weekend..

and so i set up early friday morning.. excited with anticipation.. 40,000.. when i met Silvia.. the art and craft.. coordinator.. i asked about Mullet.. was it any good.. she was a riot.. she's from New York, Syracruse, and i chatted about the summer , and my short stay a few times at the camping world where the mosquitoes that wouldn't bother me, and actually want nothing to do with me, dive bombed me, relentlessly.. like i'd never experienced, some very special mosquitoes.. she said she wouldn't touch a Mullet.. they're bottom feeders.. who would have known this would become a theme of the weekend... i thought , thats ok, i like lobster.. their bottom feeders, guess theres a difference in the sophisticated maine lobster and just a river fish.. who fucking knew!!! ahhh

Set up ready for my friday.. and that hurry up and wait theme becomes again a reality.. i swear if 200 people arrived friday.. i pulled a zero.. yes u read correctly ZERO .. i called it a day.. at 6 or so.. had my friend Joe, and my crew, whom he was with.. found himself busy fixing all those pesky things i never could get to, the bathroom door that wasn't working the electric cord box i'd broken a year ago.. the cable.. oh and the short list goes on.. so kind and helpful..

Glad to be with Joe.. and the crew.. rather spend that time with them than sit it out till 10 pm.. wishing.. That is no way to make money sso thought i'd better profit from great company.. burgers beer, and rest for the busy saturday surely to come...

Oh this was something.. hot humid.. searing in fact.. as my space was positioned to receive sun both from the front, and side where my cases are set up.. no where to go but hot sun, burning my skin..and not a shadow, from a customer .. a standing on the other side.. my friend Clyde was be side himself!! kept calling me.. so how much have u sold.. he usually kicks my butt.. as his dresses seem usually more popular and he'd stuck it out friday night.. for a mear $200. i was already creaping up on his totals from his night and day.. and before u knew it had upped him by a hundred!! and the competition was on.. we both like to sell and as it was an empty show.. during the day.. it was the only thing keeping us both on our task.. make that money.. what ever it shall be.. by the eve i had a few more dollars.. nothing i should write about.. at 9 i called it quits.. rather the company of Joe, who'd spent the day with the crew.. and of course the crew..

and as for sunday.. oh i take a deep breath, as we collected ourselves packed up Joes tent, now an empty space outside my coach window.. and off to the airport, he in uniform.. looking ever so captain like.. ever so different from the shorts and "T" from the weeks camping wear.. a saddened kiss .. unlike the one just days before, upon his arrival.. not much to say.. in fact .. as we know my traveling starts, monday, a trek back to L.A. further apart.. and a weeks worth of memories, and some time to mull the whole week over..

off the crew and i went to the booth, family day, not much hope to make up financially for the lack of sales friday, certainly much less the saturday.. bottom feeders.. and so i discovered how nice people r here in Niceville.. not very.. as i set up and proceeded to show my first pair of earrings to my first fish on the line.. no mirrors, what i put them under the counter the night before.. dam.. where could they b? shit.. by the time i would now look through everything, my first fish got away.. and still no mirrors.. stolen, worthless to anyone else, but me those that i was down to, as mirrors break all the time my old back ups gone not another mirror now for my day of sales.. borrowed 2 from Clyde.. now my rod caught another .. and as i was closing the deal, my calculator, for me to total the sale and add in florida sales tax, what where the heck is it.. no not that too.. really NOT NICE.. $30. calculator, 2 years maybe 3 years old.. like new.. gone too.. oh shit.. what kind of people come to this place, to go into my completely closed booth and take what doesn't belong to u just for the sake of taking something.. i truly don't get it.. so like the fish here.. the people shall follow.... bottom feeders.. I'll stick with shrimp and lobster festivals, or better yet straight art shows, crafts shows where the people don't think of u as carnival people and look down upon u while being lower than low, as they march by.. thinking themselves better, while not any more nickels in their own pockets..

one customer early on in the day stopped.. "How much" i said do u know what it is.. she said no.. HOW MUCH.. well whats the difference how much it is if u don't know what it is.. she was irate.. who cares.. it doesn't matter if it's one dollar or a thousand if u don't know what the hell it is.. have a nice day.. in NOT SO NICEVILLE..

Their must be a word, for something that claims one thing when it is completely the opposite..

I packed up dollied everything to my van with darling Andres pushing.. as it was very heavy.. through the trodden grass down to dust and sand.. even the harder to pull, happy to get it all in 3 trips, loaded and out of there a sweet so long to clyde and on my way back to camp where i started to write to find my head on my pillow.. the thoughts of the week a running through my head.. my summer.. my near ending journey, and this blog too.. another to follow, THE L.A REPORT.. has a ring to it.. what u all think.. written for my dears on the east as i share my winter, with those i will so miss, though in touch.. the time difference, huge.. yet accommodating.. as it will be earlier for me.. and i might find my head a rest before midnight likely..

I am ready.. the drive to come today, started out just write!!

with all my deepest thoughts, plz say a prayer.. our safe journey thank u god.. 2110m .. L.A. here we come!!!

Andrea and Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment